Frequently Asked Questions
Is hydrogen safe to use in combustion engines?
The BeHydro hydrogen engines have 3 different layers of safety to ensure redundant safety:
- The first layer is provided by using high integrity components that are conforming to all the relevant class and safety requirements, e.g. pressure relief valves, double shielded gas feeding collector, etc.
- The second layer is provided by leak detection software and control system. The H2 control strategy allows for safe and efficient operation of the system.
- The third layer is the design of the H2 system to ensure no hydrogen can be trapped in a place where it could cause issues. The system is designed to have as a worst-case scenario a safe controlled venting of hydrogen from the top of the machine. Upon release, hydrogen dissipates extremely fast since it’s 14 times lighter than air.
On top of that, our dual fuel hydrogen engines offer operational safety by allowing an automatic and seamless switch back to liquid fuel operation if needed, ensuring reliability of the driving system.
The BeHydro hydrogen engines use proven technology and are designed to ensure long term and efficient operation. In addition to their long service life, they are also very easy to maintain. This saves costs and time for owners and operators.
- Long lifetime: +200.000 running hours
- Easy maintenance, long time between overhauls
- No use of rare/conflict materials